The 496th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 04.07.2023.
Russian troops’ attacks on the civilian infrastructure in Ukraine
During the day, the Russian army launched missile strikes on residential buildings in the city of Pervomaiskyi, Kharkiv Oblast. Additionally, it carried out 35 airstrikes and conducted approximately 50 artillery shelling attacks using multiple rocket launcher systems on the positions of Ukrainian troops and populated areas. As a result of the Russian terrorist attacks, civilians were injured, residential buildings, economic and administrative structures, as well as private vehicles, were damaged.
The likelihood of missile and aerial strikes throughout the territory of Ukraine remains high.
The Russian army continues to concentrate its main efforts in the directions of Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, and Marinka, where heavy fighting is ongoing. During the day, there were 30 combat clashes.
List of the Russian Federation’s attacks on the Ukrainian territory
All maps provided by War Mapper
- In the Volyn and Polissia directions, the operational situation remains unchanged, with no significant changes observed. There are no signs of Russia’s forming offensive groupings.
- In the Siversk and Slobozhansk directions, the Russian army made unsuccessful attempts to infiltrate Ukrainian territory through the state border yesterday, resulting in losses and retreat. To cover the retreat of Russian sabotage and reconnaissance groups, Russian troops used small arms and artillery fire. During the current day, they conducted mortar and artillery shelling on more than 15 populated areas, including Karpovychi and Mykhalchyna Sloboda in Chernihiv Oblast, Seredyna-Buda and Vovkivka in Sumy Oblast, and Odnorobivka, Udy, Vovchansk, Okhrimivka, and Zemlianky in Kharkiv Oblast.
- In the Kupiansk direction, the Russian army attempted to launch an offensive in the area south of Novoselivka in Luhansk Oblast. Ukrainian troops steadfastly held their defense and repelled all Russian attacks. The Russian army carried out artillery and mortar shelling on Odradne, Novomyrhorod, Dvorichna, Zakhidne, Kupiansk, Masyutivka, and Kyslivka in Kharkiv Oblast.
- In the Lyman direction, with the support of aviation, Russian soldiers attempted to dislodge Ukrainian troops from their positions west of Novovodiane and south of Dibrova in Luhansk Oblast but were unsuccessful. More than 10 populated areas, including Nevske and Bilohorivka in Luhansk Oblast, and Verkhniokamianske, Berestove, Vesele, and Rozdolivka in Donetsk Oblast, were subjected to artillery shelling.
- In the Bakhmut front, under intense Russian fire from aviation and artillery, Ukrainian military successfully repelled Russian attacks in the area of the settlement of Bohdanivka in Donetsk Oblast. At the same time, Ukrainian troops continue their offensive actions south and north of the city of Bakhmut, consolidating their positions at achieved lines. Over 15 populated areas were affected by Russian artillery shelling, including Vasiukivka, Markeve, Bohdanivka, Khromove, Ivanivske, Chasiv Yar, Klishchiivka, Oleksandro-Shultyne, and Pivnichne in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Avdiivka front, the Defense Forces continue to hold back the advance of Russian troops in the area of Avdiivka in Donetsk Oblast. Meanwhile, the Russian army carried out artillery shelling on more than 10 populated areas, including Ocheretyne, Berdychiv, Stepove, Avdiivka, Tonevke, and Pervomaiske in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Marinka direction, under Russian artillery fire, Ukrainian troops repelled all Russian attacks in the area of the city of Marinka. The Russian army carried out shelling on more than 10 populated areas, including Krasnohorivka, Hryhorivka, Hostre, Marinka, and Pobeda in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Shakhtarsk front, Russian troops conducted an aerial strike in the area of Vuhledar in Donetsk Oblast. They carried out shelling on more than 15 populated areas, including Novomykhailivka, Vuhledar, Novoukrainka, Prechystivka, Makarivka, and Zelene Pole in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions, the Russian army is concentrating its main efforts on preventing the advancement of Ukrainian troops. It conducted an aerial strike in the area of Rivnopillia in Zaporizhzhia Oblast. Russian soldiers carried out artillery shelling on more than 30 populated areas, including Levadne, Olhivske, Malynivka, Huliaypole, and Bilohirya in Zaporizhzhia Oblast, Zmiivka, Lvove, Tokarivka, Antonivka, Veletenske, and Stanislav in Kherson Oblast, as well as the city of Kherson.
In the temporarily occupied settlement of Malojanyssol in Donetsk Oblast, the presence of a unit of Russian occupation forces has been noted. Russian troops continue to violate international humanitarian law, and customs of war. They frequently consume alcoholic beverages and, in a drunken state, subject civilian residents to abuse, inflict physical harm on them, and engage in looting.
The Ukrainian troops’ strikes on Russian equipment
Meanwhile, the Ukrainian Armed Forces continue their offensive operation on the Melitopol and Berdiansk directions, consolidating their positions at achieved lines, delivering effective artillery fire on identified Russian targets, and conducting counter-battery actions.
During the day, the aviation of the defense forces conducted 13 strikes on Russian personnel concentration areas, 3 strikes on anti-aircraft missile systems, and 1 strike on Russian command post.
The missile and artillery units during the day targeted Russian personnel, weapons, and military equipment concentration areas, resulting in the destruction of 3 ammunition depots, 18 artillery systems on firing positions, 3 air defense systems, and 2 Russian electronic warfare stations.