Madonna is out of hospital and feeling better after being struck down by a “serious bacterial infection,” Sky News understands.
The 64-year-old star, who spent several days in intensive care, is now home and recovering.
The unexpected illness has forced her to postpone all forthcoming commitments, including The Celebration world tour, which had been due to kick off next month.
Her manager, Guy Oseary, said in a statement posted on social media on Wednesday: “On Saturday 24 June, Madonna developed a serious bacterial infection which lead to a several day stay in the ICU.
“Her health is improving, however, she is still under medical care. A full recovery is expected.
“At this time we will need to pause all commitments, which includes the tour.
“We will share more details with you soon as we have them, including a new start date for the tour and for rescheduled shows.”
Celebrities including Rita Wilson, Zooey Deschanel and Isla Fisher were among the stars to wish the singer well on social media after the announcement.
The star had been due to kick off The Celebration world tour in Vancouver, Canada, on 15 July, coming to the UK in October.
Madonna last toured from September 2019 to March 2020 for her Madame X shows. However, she was forced to cancel numerous dates of the run on “doctors’ orders” after suffering “overwhelming pain”.
At the time, she said she had been “plagued” with knee and hip injuries since the beginning of the tour, and was seen walking with a cane and wearing knee supports.
The first London show of the Madame X tour was one of those cancelled, with the star saying at the time: “I must always listen to my body and put my health first.”
The final two dates of the tour were later called off due to COVID, with the singer describing cancelling shows as “a kind of punishment for me”.