Singer Lewis Capaldi has announced he will be taking a break from touring “for the foreseeable future,” saying he is “still learning to adjust to the impact of my Tourette’s.”
Sharing an update on social media, Capaldi said his performance on the Pyramid Stage had made it “obvious that I need to spend much more time getting my mental and physical health in order” in order to keep doing “everything I love for a long time to come”.
The 26-year-old singer had previously cancelled three weeks of shows to rest and recover ahead of the festival. On stage, he repeatedly apologised for losing his voice, and told fans they probably would not “see much of me for the rest of the year”.
In a statement shared on Tuesday, he thanked “Glastonbury for having me, for singing along when I needed it and for all the amazing messages afterwards”, adding: “It really does mean the world.”
Capaldi continued: “The fact that this probably won’t come as a surprise probably doesn’t make it any easier to write, but I’m very sorry to let you know I’m going to be taking a break from touring for the foreseeable future.
“I used to be able to enjoy every second of shows like this and I’d hoped 3 weeks away would sort me out. But the truth is I’m still learning to adjust to the impact of my Tourette’s and on Saturday it became obvious that I need to spend much more time getting my mental and physical health in order, so I can keep doing everything I love for a long time to come.”
The star went on to acknowledge being “incredibly fortunate” to be able to take time out “when others can’t”, and said he wanted to thank his “amazing” family, friends, team, medical professionals “and all of you who’ve been so supportive every step of the way through the good times and even more so during this past year when I’ve needed it more than ever.”
He also apologised to those with tickets for his shows planned this year, which included gigs and festival appearances in Australia, Asia and Europe.