The 497th day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 05.07.2023.
Russian offensive actions and impact on civilians
Last night, Russian troops launched an attack with five Iranian-made Shahed combat UAVs. Ukrainian air defense systems destroyed two kamikaze drones. Within 24 hours, the Russian army carried out 48 airstrikes and conducted 54 shelling operations using multiple launch rocket systems on the positions of Ukrainian military and civilian areas.
The likelihood of missile and aerial attacks across the entire territory of Ukraine remains high. The Russian army continues to concentrate its main efforts on the directions of Lyman, Bakhmut, Avdiivka, and Marinka. Approximately 30 combat engagements occurred during the day.
Intensified frontline clashes and epicenters of conflict
All maps provided by War Mapper
- In the Volyn and Polissia directions, the operational situation remains unchanged, with no significant changes observed in Russia’s formation of offensive groups. The identified units of the Belarusian Armed Forces are fulfilling their tasks in the border areas with Ukraine.
- In the Siversk and Slobozhansk directions, the Russian army maintains a military presence. It conducted airstrikes in the areas of Hrabove in Sumy Oblast, Pletenivka in Kharkiv Oblast, and in the city of Kharkiv. During the day, Russian troops carried out mortar and artillery shelling on more than 35 settlements, including Hirske and Tymonovychi in Chernihiv Oblast, Seredyna-Buda and Stukalivka in Sumy Oblast, and Kozacha Lopan, Zelene, and Hatysche in Kharkiv Oblast.
- In the Kupiansk direction, the Russian army continues to make attempts to advance in the area of Novoselivka in Luhansk Oblast. Ukrainian troops are holding the defense steadfastly and repelled all Russian attacks. Russian troops carried out airstrikes in the areas of Ivanivka and Kyslivka in Kharkiv Oblast. Petro-Ivanivka, Fiholivka, Monachynivka, Husynka, Novomlynsk, and Kyslivka in Kharkiv Oblast were subjected to artillery and mortar shelling by the Russian army.
- In the Lyman direction, during their offensive operations, Russian soldiers attempted to displace Ukrainian troops from their positions in the area of Novoehorivka in Luhansk Oblast but did not succeed. They conducted an airstrike in the area of Biloheorivka in Luhansk Oblast. More than 10 settlements, including Nevske, Biloheorivka in Luhansk Oblast, and Torhivka, Verkhniokamianske, and Rozdolivka in Donetsk Oblast, were subjected to artillery shelling by the Russian army.
- In the Bakhmut direction, Ukrainian troops successfully repelled Russian attacks in the areas south of Berkhivka and Bohdanivka in Donetsk Oblast. However, the Russian army continues its offensive actions south and north of the city of Bakhmut, consolidating on the achieved positions. The Russian army carried out airstrikes in the areas of Bohdanivka and Toretsk. Over 10 settlements, including Vasiukivka, Khromove, Oleksandro-Shultsyne, and Pivnichne in Donetsk Oblast, were affected by Russian artillery shelling.
- In the Avdiivka direction, the Armed Forces of Ukraine continue to hold back the advance of Russian troops in the area of Avdiivka. At the same time, the Russian army carried out airstrikes in the areas of Avdiivka and Nevelske. It conducted artillery shelling on more than 10 settlements, including Berdychivka, Stepove, Avdiivka, Nevelske, and Pervomaiske in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Marinka direction, Ukrainian troops repelled all Russian attacks in the area of the city of Marinka. The Russian army conducted an airstrike in the area of Krasnohorivka in Donetsk Oblast. It carried out shelling on more than 10 settlements, including Krasnohorivka, Haniivka, Mariinka, and Pobeda in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Shakhtarsk direction, Russian soldiers conducted airstrikes in the areas of Zolota Nyva and Makarivka in Donetsk Oblast. They carried out shelling on more than 10 settlements, including Novomykhailivka, Vuhledar, Novoukrainka, and Prechystivka in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions, the Russian army concentrates its main efforts on preventing the advancement of Ukrainian troops. Russian soldiers conducted airstrikes in the areas of Zmiivka and Antonivka in Kherson Oblast. They carried out artillery shelling on more than 40 settlements, including Levadne, Olhivske, Malynivka, Huliaipole, and Bilohirya in Zaporizhzhia Oblast; Tokarivka, Antonivka, Veletenske, and Kizomys in Kherson Oblast, as well as the city of Kherson. At the same time, the Ukrainian Defense Forces continue their offensive operations on the Melitopol and Berdiansk directions, consolidating on the achieved positions, delivering effective artillery strikes on identified Russian targets, and conducting counter-battery measures.
During the day, the aviation of the Ukrainian army conducted 10 strikes on areas of concentration of Russian personnel.
Units of missile forces and artillery targeted 1 area of concentration of Russian personnel, armaments, and military equipment, 1 command post, 1 ammunition depot, 8 artillery systems in firing positions, 2 air defense assets, 1 radar station, and 3 Russian electronic warfare stations.