The 493rd day of the Russia-Ukraine War: official operational information by the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on 01.07.2023.
Russian offensive actions and impact on civilians
The Russian Federation continues to kill the peaceful population of Ukraine and disregard the laws and customs of war, using tactics of terror, striking military and civilian targets alike.
During the day, the Russian army delivered 22 airstrikes and carried out approximately 60 shelling attacks with multiple rocket launcher systems on Ukrainian troops’ positions and populated areas.
The probability of missile and airstrikes throughout the territory of Ukraine remains high.
The Russian army concentrates its main efforts on the directions of Lyman, Bakhmut, and Marinka. Over 30 combat clashes occurred during the day.
Intensified frontline clashes and epicenters of conflict
All maps provided by War Mapper
- The operational situation in the Volyn and Polissia directions remains unchanged, with no significant changes observed in Russia’s formation of offensive groupings.
- In the Siversk and Slobozhansk directions, the Russian army conducted an airstrike in the area of Veterynarne in Kharkiv Oblast. It carried out mortar and artillery shelling on more than 15 populated areas, including Karpovychi in Chernihiv Oblast, Myropillia and Ryasne in Sumy Oblast, Udi, Pylna, Vovchansk, Budarky, Chuhunivka, Odradne, and Kamianka in Kharkiv Oblast.
- In the Kupiansk direction, Russian troops conducted airstrikes in the areas of Kyslivka and Kotliarivka in Kharkiv Oblast. Artillery and mortar shelling by the Russian army affected Topoly, Novomlynsk, Fiholivka, Masiutivka, and Kyslivka in Kharkiv Oblast.
- In the Lyman direction, the Russian army carried out unsuccessful offensive actions in the areas of Nevske and south of Dibrova in Luhansk Oblast. It conducted airstrikes in the areas of Biloheorivka in Luhansk Oblast and Vyimka and Spirne in Donetsk Oblast. More than 10 populated areas, including Nevske, Biloheorivka in Luhansk Oblast, and Torske, Dibrova, Verkhniokamianske, Rozdolivka, and Berestove in Donetsk Oblast, were subjected to artillery shelling.
- In the Bahmut direction, Russian troops conducted unsuccessful offensive actions in the area of Bohdanivka in Donetsk Oblast. They carried out airstrikes near Bila Hora, Toretsk, and New York. Approximately 15 populated areas were affected by Russian artillery shelling, including Vasiukivka, Markove, Bohdanivka, Chasiv Yar, Ivanivske, Oleksandro-Shultine, Bila Hora, Diliivka, and Pivdenne in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Avdiivka direction, Russian soldiers conducted an airstrike in the area of Avdiivka. They carried out artillery shelling on more than 10 populated areas. Among the affected locations were Novokalynove, Berdychiv, Avdiivka, Pervomaiske, and Nevelske in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Marinka direction, Ukrainian soldiers repelled all Russian attacks in the area of the city of Marnka. At the same time, the Russian army carried out artillery shelling on the populated areas of Hostre, Heorhiivka, Marinka, and Pobeda in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Shakhtarsk direction, the Russian army conducted an airstrike in the area of Makarivka in Donetsk Oblast. It carried out shelling on approximately 15 populated areas, including Paraskoviyivka, Novomykhailivka, Zolota Nyva, Storozheve, Blahodatne, Makarivka, Vilne Pole, and Zelene Pole in Donetsk Oblast.
- In the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson directions, the Russian army concentrates its main efforts on preventing the advancement of Ukrainian troops. It conducted artillery shelling on more than 30 populated areas, including Novodarivka, Levadne, Olhivske, Huliaypole, Bilohirya in Zaporizhzhia Oblast; Zolota Balka, Mykhailivka, Havrylivka, Kachkarivka, Kozatske, Ivanivka, Antonivka, Zelenivka in Kherson Oblast, and the city of Kherson.
Russian troops suffer significant losses every day, which they try to conceal. They continue to employ the traditional Russian practice of depriving the families of the deceased of benefits and compensations promoted by Russian propaganda. To achieve this, mobile crematoriums are actively used. In particular, it has been established that one of such crematoriums is currently operating 24/7 on the territory of the Berdiansk port. At present, approximately 50 bodies of deceased Russian servicemen, recently transported from the combat zones to the local morgue, are being cremated. It should be noted that the cremation of the deceased Russian servicemen is carried out without their identification and registration.
During the day, the aviation of the Ukrainian Armed Forces delivered 10 strikes on Russia’s personnel concentration areas, 2 on anti-aircraft missile systems, and 1 on Russian command post.
The missile forces and artillery units hit Russian command post, areas of personnel concentration, weapons and military equipment, ammunition depots, 2 artillery systems in firing positions, an air defense system, an electronic warfare station, and another important target of Russian troops.