Are you looking for ways to keep your hair healthy and hydrated this winter? Try incorporating these best homemade hair masks that will help you protect your locks.
Throughout the year, your hair goes through a lot of stress and when the cold weather sets in, it only gets worse. Your hair has to battle the elements as well as your styling choices, such as hair colouring and excessive use of styling tools. If your hair is under distress, you need to give it some TLC with a moisturising hair mask. Your regular conditioner may not be sufficient to moisturise your hair most of the time. One solution to revive your lifeless hair during this season is to make a DIY hair mask using products that you might already have in your kitchen cupboard. Here’s a list of the best homemade winter hair masks to get rid of dry hair.
6 best winter hair masks for dry hair
Here are the 6 best homemade winter hair masks that will help you lock in moisture and avoid dry hair, as explained by the cosmetologist and trichologist, Dr Priti Mahire.
1. Banana and olive oil hair mask
Take one ripe banana and mash it well. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to it. Mix both these ingredients well together. Apply it on the scalp and hair and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash it off with shampoo using lukewarm water.
2. Egg honey olive oil hair mask
Take the egg yolk and whisk it, till it becomes frothy. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and one cup of honey to the egg. Mix all these well together. Massage it on your scalp and hair for about 5 minutes. Leave this mask for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Wash your hair with shampoo.
3. Banana honey yoghurt hair mask
Take one ripe banana. Mash it well. Add two tablespoons of yoghurt and one tablespoon of honey in it. Mix all this together. Apply on the hair and scalp and leave it for 30 minutes, then you can rinse it off.
Healthshots Inner Circle An exclusive wellness community for women
4. Coconut oil and aloe vera hair mask
Mix both these ingredients in equal amounts according to the length of your hair. Apply it from the roots to the ends and keep it for 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.
5. Aloe vera and yoghurt hair mask
Take half a cup of yoghurt and add two tablespoons of aloe vera gel to it. Mix these ingredients together, apply on the scalp and hair. Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing it off.
6. Coconut oil and avocado hair mask
Mash one avocado. To this add one egg, 1 tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil. Mix well. Apply on the hair and scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse it off with normal water.
How to use a winter hair mask?
A hair mask ideally should be applied on clean and damp hair but if the hair mask contains oils like coconut, olive, or almond oil, it’s best to apply on clean and dry hair.
- Step 1: Divide your hair into sections.
- Step 2: Apply the mask with your fingers or you can use a brush. Start from the scalp then to the hair roots and lastly to the ends.
- Step 3: Once done applying the hair mask, use a wide-toothed comb to ensure it is spread evenly.
- Step 4: Cover your hair with the shower cap or plastic wrap.
- Step 5: Wrap a towel around your head.
- Step 6: Leave the mask for 30 to 60 minutes depending on the ingredients used in the hair mask.
- Step 7: Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water or cold water.
- Step 8: Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Step 9: Apply conditioner and leave it for 5 minutes. Wash off again.
- Step 10: Apply leave-on hair conditioner or leave-on serum for optimum results.
Are there any side effects of using a hair mask in winter?
Ingredients if not used in proper quantity or overused can give possible side effects like irritation, redness, allergic reaction, more hair fall, and damaged hair. So, try consulting with your doctor before incorporating these winter hair masks into your hair care routine.